Surrey Index of NamesTo search for a name, type in values into the following fields:
(Wildcards are * for any number of characters, ? for one character)
This index is compiled from random references to names connected with Surrey that I have come across. It will point you to the source which contains the reference or information. I have not set out to collect information systematically so it is purely a matter of chance that I have seen the piece.
You can search by surname or by surname and first name(s). The results of the search will be listed by place and then by year within that place. It is probably best to start by searching for surname and then narrow down your search as necessary, maybe adding the place. When you have found an item you are interested in, click on the Link for more information. This generates an email to me. I will send you the citation and any other information I may have.
- Surname means the last element of the family name mentioned in the article or reference.
- If the subject only has one name that is treated as the surname.
- Hyphenated surnames are treated as a single name; for unhyphenated double barrelled surnames the last element is treated as the surname.
- Firstname(s) means all the names other than the surname.
- Place means the place mentioned in the reference which is connected with the person. It does not necessarily equate to a "Parish"or "Town" as we normally understand them in family history research, so watch out for unexpected spellings.
- The names etc are indexed as they appear in the source document. I have made no assumptions about what is meant nor have I corrected any errors that there may be in the original.
- I do not have copies of the articles etc. referenced nor can I provide them. You will need to contact an appropriate Library or Record Office if you wish to read them.
- The index is offered for use "as is". Neither I nor the Trustees of the West Surrey Family History Society make any guarantee that the references are relevant to your research and we cannot be responsible for any nugatory expenditure you might incur.
- The index is updated monthly.